Wednesday 26 August 2015

Handibags for Christmas


Yesterday I looked at Christmas bags and found that there really aren't many handmade Christmas bags (other than gift bags) out there. Since there is a lot of shopping done around Christmas time this seems to be a bit of an oversight so yesterday I spent some time making some small stuffable handibags to use for Christmas shopping!

I decided to try a tutorial that I've had pinned to try for some time now - for a strawberry bag from ikatbag. It's a great little tutorial and makes for a cute stuffable bag. The tutorial is however just for the stuff pocket in the corner. I used those measurements and followed that tutorial which is nice and clear.
 For the tote itself I cut:
2 main pieces 40 x 38 cm (16 x 15")
2 straps  60 x 10 cm (23.5 x 4")


First I made one using some pretty Japanese fabric I had in my stash.


Then I made another one - but this time with a Christmas theme. I used green fabric and put a Rudolf appliqué on the front. You can download the template for that here.  



I used some scraps of Christmas fabric from my stash for the little pocket and the appliqué - and cord and a toggle from my stash too (I save every bit of cord and plastic fastenings and clips from old bags, backpacks and straps that I can!). For the appliqué I always have fusible webbing in my stash but I recently read of someone just using a plain glue stick to hold the fabric pieces in place before stitching - so that might me a budget friendly alternative if you don't have fusible webbing!

I'm really pleased with how this one turned out!



Next I made another of these bags using my eldest daughter's favourite pillowcase. 

Unfortunately has ripped and been mended one too many times and so is no longer usable as a pillowcase.

BUT - it now has a new lease of life as a handibag!


Finally I made another Christmas Handibag using my own tutorial

This bag doesn't need any cord or plastic toggle as it just stuffs into a pocket with a simple fold over flap to secure it closed.  For this one I used Christmas Fabric I was gifted a couple of years ago and still hadn't used up!



I'm pleased with my new Handibags - particularly the Rudolf Christmas one which is my favourite. Let me show you it just one more time!

I can put them all inside my new Snowman Tote Bag 

and I'm all set for Christmas Shopping!

Why not make some for yourself - avoid those plastic bags when the silly season gets here!

I also have plenty more free bag tutorials 
- just go here to take a look!

I shall be linking this post to many of the fabulous linky parties whose pretty buttons can be found on the bottom of this page and whose direct links can be found on my linky party page.

No comments:

Post a Comment